What is the Complete foundation photography course about?
Our 4-day Foundation Course equips you with the basic technical and creative skills needed to take stunning professional images.
The course combines our Beginners and Intermediate Courses. It’s perfect for complete beginners and for more experienced photographers looking to discover the creative flexibility of working in manual mode.
Like all our courses, the Foundation Photography Course is hands-on, combining projects, assignments and classroom presentations. The course is held on weekdays or at weekends.
* With your booking confirmation you will receive a £100 voucher code valid for all advanced Individual Photography Courses (excl. Beginners & Intermediate) or the Professional Photography Course.
You will cover – Beginners level
- Fundamentals of Photography
- Camera Resolution
- File Formats (Jpeg, RAW)
- Lenses (Focal Lengths, Macro, Prime & Zoom Lenses)
- Manual and Autofocus (Focusing Points, Autofocus Lock, Single and Continuous Focus)
- Principles of Exposure (Exposure Triangle, 18% Grey Card)
- Manual Exposure (ISO, Shutter Speeds, Aperture)
- Metering Modes (Evaluative, Partial, Spot Metering)
- Depth of Field
- Shutter Speed (Freezing and Blurring Motion & Panning)
You will cover – Intermediate level
- Principles of composition (balance, rule of thirds, negative space, frame within a frame)
- Use of contrast in your photographs (colour, patterns, light)
- Choosing the right lenses
- Use of Shallow Depth of Field
- Crucial vs distracting image elements
- Developing your own stories by conveying a message
- Optimising your images in Post Production
If you don’t own your own digital camera, you can hire a professional grade DSLR (Canon or Nikon) from us for £20/day. Simply email us with your requirements.
4 Days / 20 Hours
Digital Camera (DSLR or Mirrorless) with Manual Exposure Mode, laptop with Adobe Lightroom (can be free trial)
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Master your camera in manual mode
- Broaden your creative bandwidth by exploring the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, focal length and focus
- Express your creativity through using basic design principles
- Craft your images through the viewfinder & the settings
- Put together your own photo projects
- Tell a story through your images