April 2021- Open Call
This month’s challenge is Black and White. It takes time to train your eye to see in black and white. The 18% grey card is handy here as you can look at your subject and see if that would be lighter or darker than it, and so give you an idea of the tone.
The best black and white have a tonal difference. White, whites and Black, blacks. A great Black and white image makes good use of lines, shapes, textures, and of course lighting.
You can either create the black and white in camera or in post-production afterwards. You can play around with the inbuilt filters in your camera to get the desired effect. Filters lighten their own colour while darkening the opposite colour. Yellow or green can be good for skin tones or a red filter can make a blue sky look almost black. Post-production with a raw image, of course, will allow you to have the most control.
Tips and Inspirations:
The winner of this Challenge is Alyson Carvalho
We are delighted to announce that the winner of this month’s challenge is Alyson Carvalho. Congratulations! You will receive a voucher worth £150 to put towards one of LIoP courses*
LIoP Comment: We chose this image for several reasons – Overall, It is a striking image. The composition, light and tonal quality are technically strong. There is a double exposure on the model’s face which is emphasizing the spirit of the ancestor. There is a delicacy in the engagement with the sitter and photographer.
This image’s theme is very current which would indicate research and an understanding of the topic- The gaze and how women are portrayed within photography and in society.
Alyson’s Comment: The moment of ancestral touch and the awakening of deep sleep.
30 September 2018, 23:59 UK Time
- All submitted images will be assessed on the basis of creativity, technical quality and coherence with the theme
- Save your image as JPG with 3000px on the long edge and highest image quality setting
- Submit a short 3 line text you want to publish together with your image that describes you idea
- Submission is limited to one image per photographer and monthly challenge
- You must sign up for the LIoP Challenge in order to submit your image
- Submission deadline is 30 September 2018, 23:59 UK Time.