July 2020- Everyday Moments
One of the most stunning signs of Autumn is the leaves changing colour. Do you know why it does this? This is because during the winter there is not enough light for photosynthesis to occur. The days shorten throughout autumn and we all get cozy, the trees close down their food production systems and reduce the amount of chlorophyll in their leaves. Back to science days, chlorophyll is the chemical which makes leaves green and as it declines other chemicals become more prominent in the leaves.
The chemicals responsible are types of Flavonoids, Carotenoids, and Anthocyanins and are responsible for the vibrant ambers, reds, and yellows of autumn.
We want you to capture Autumn colours for this month’s challenge. It is not restricted to trees but could be the colours used for a portrait or that cozy feeling you have at this time of year. Fires, hot chocolate, who else desires apple crumble and custard! Good luck and have fun.
Tips and Inspirations:
The winner of this Challenge is Mike Williamson
The colours that Mike achieved in this image are so rich. These mysterious dark tones are stunning and only heighten the autumn colours. We really enjoy the reflection but what makes it unique, is the area that he left at the top. It is a clever composition, reflection, tone, and dualities. Reflective and non-reflective, Dark and brightness, bluey-green and yellow-orange, gentleness and hardness. We really think it is special. Congratulations Mike!
30 November 2018, 23:59 UK Time
- All submitted images will be assessed on the basis of creativity, technical quality and coherence with the theme
- Save your image as JPG with 3000px on the long edge and highest image quality setting
- Submit a short 3 line text you want to publish together with your image that describes you idea
- Submission is limited to one image per photographer and monthly challenge
- You must sign up for the LIoP Challenge in order to submit your image
- Submission deadline is 30 November 2018, 23:59 UK Time.