February 2021- Movement
Since the beginning of time weather has played a major role in defining society and culture. No better example than in the U.K where according to the writer Melissa Harrison, rain has become a part of our identity. Rain presents us with a unique chance to interact with nature through all of our senses.
This begs the question why so many of us scurry indoors on a wet afternoon! Well, apart from the obvious, we have to prepare ourselves for photographing outside, remind yourself of these tips we published in our blog What to do when it rains? Be prepared to use rain as a filter through which you can take amazing images.
Decisions need to be made to be able to make a super photograph. Some of these could be the time of day you shoot, the shutter speed you use to create motion blur or freeze, deciding whether to use flash, do you make your image black and white or colour? Most importantly, ask yourself, what story do you want to tell or what emotions do you want the viewer to feel?
Tips and Inspirations:
The winner of this Challenge is
The colours is what immediately catches your eye. Then the layer of rain that makes an intriguing separation from the two faces and the viewer. The framing of the faces is well balanced as we can see that it is two people sitting, looking forward. The image is divided up very well. Almost the pink and blue background is split in half. The head scarf blends in with the blue background rather than being opposite or a different colour. This keeps the image quite meditative rather than pointing to a particular character. It is very cinematography like image and leaves us asking questions.
30 November 2017, 23:59 UK Time
- All submitted images will be assessed on the basis of creativity, technical quality and coherence with the theme
- Save your image as JPG with 3000px on the long edge and highest image quality setting
- Submit a short 3 line text you want to publish together with your image that describes you idea
- Submission is limited to one image per photographer and monthly challenge
- You must sign up for the LIoP Challenge in order to submit your image
- Submission deadline is 30 November 2017, 23:59 UK Time.