July 2020- Everyday Moments
As a photographer, you might have wondered about the future of your profession, and the risk that automation poses to your future career. Artificial intelligence might enable a robot to perform some of the more mundane tasks involved in photography but don’t worry, your job will be around for a long time to come. We all know that there is a whole lot more than following an algorithm to make an image work.
Still, a study in 2017 by Mckinsey and Company found, that 60 percent of jobs could be computerized and 15 million jobs might be taken over by robots. This month’s challenge is about exploring the idea of “Disappearing Professions” and what this means to you as the photographer. In a few years time, younger generations will be very surprised that there used to be a person sitting behind a cash register in a supermarket or behind the wheel of a taxi or bus.
In this challenge, we would like you to explore the city and capture professions that will not exist in years to come. Your images might help future generations show how things were done before robots took over!
Tips and Inspirations:
The winner of this Challenge is Valentina Aru
This super image of Valentina’s is composed wonderfully. She has considered the placement of Mr. Hung in relation to his tools. The emphasis is not on him but more so the environment indicating the lost trade rather than a portrait. The similar colour palette in the image along with the firelight and light bulb brings together a wonderful ambiance and emotion to the image along with him working away while not being distracted by the photographer.
31 May 2018, 23:59 UK Time
- All submitted images will be assessed on the basis of creativity, technical quality and coherence with the theme
- Save your image as JPG with 3000px on the long edge and highest image quality setting
- Submit a short 3 line text you want to publish together with your image that describes you idea
- Submission is limited to one image per photographer and monthly challenge
- You must sign up for the LIoP Challenge in order to submit your image
- Submission deadline is 31 May 2018, 23:59 UK Time.