April 2021- Open Call
Ohh selecting one colour or tone in your image is so interesting as it makes you study your composition in so much more detail. Like Iringó Demeter (image above), her minimalistic charm is that she crops in tight creating mystery using a similar colour palette. This challenge doesn’t need to be a portrait, it can be architecture, food, something abstract or anything that grabs your attention!
Colour can really help us grab people’s attention and create a specific mood from happiness to melancholy depending what you choose. Colours change depending on the time of day so choose wisely. Would you like a warm or cool tone in your photos? Look at the angles that you frame. Will you use a contrasting colour orange on blue, for example, to make the orange stand out? How much blue will you keep in your photo?
Colours need to follow a pattern or again the rule of less is more. If you have too many colours, this can just be confusing for the viewer. In the end, photography is storytelling. What story are you telling? Decide this first, choose your composition, exposure and take the picture.
After that you have post-production stage or if you are shooting in jpeg in your camera you can change the saturation, colour, tone.
If you are familiar with Lightroom or Photoshop you can change the tone and colour to change the whole effect of the image.
Tips and Inspirations:
The winner of this Challenge is Mike Williamson
Mike’s image is immediately eye-catching and mysterious. The still water offers a feeling of calm and reflection but the decision of taking at this particular stance suggests the winding path to discovery. There is a duality of emotions that make it so interesting and this is created by Mike’s choices.
30 June 2018, 23:59 UK Time
- All submitted images will be assessed on the basis of creativity, technical quality and coherence with the theme
- Save your image as JPG with 3000px on the long edge and highest image quality setting
- Submit a short 3 line text you want to publish together with your image that describes you idea
- Submission is limited to one image per photographer and monthly challenge
- You must sign up for the LIoP Challenge in order to submit your image
- Submission deadline is 30 June 2018, 23:59 UK Time.