July 2020- Everyday Moments
Food Photography is a still life genre and it is used in many ways to sell a lifestyle, cookbooks, Instagram, and of course used in advertisements, magazines, packaging. We see it everywhere.
For a long time, Food photography was composed to give the feeling to the viewer was about to sit at the table. It could be quite complex meals with bold colours – Martha Stewart eat your heart out!
We have moved away from this style and food is now presented in clean, natural as possible being the operative word, simple and with as little props as necessary.
In a commercial shoot, normally there would be not only the photographer, but a food stylist, or chef, prop stylist, assistant, maybe two or three, client and creative director. But in this challenge we want you to compose a simple shot considering your light, composition and of course the food!
It is a good idea to do some research as it may seem easy but it can take hours to get the perfect composition. Skills learnt in this challenge… patience, a good tripod and millimeters make all the difference. The best bit is you get to eat the food after!
Tips and Inspirations:
The winner of this Challenge is Martina Bruno
Martina Bruno has cleverly designed and created a sculpture. Blending the colours and tones from red to green to pink and orange creates a well thought out image. These don’t seem like fruit and a flower that was just picked up but instead a well thought out and curated piece. The shapes compliment each other and are positioned in a way that works. This is not easy to create successfully. To top it off Martina has kept the creases in the background which adds softness. Wonderful!
31 July 2018, 23:59 UK Time
- All submitted images will be assessed on the basis of creativity, technical quality and coherence with the theme
- Save your image as JPG with 3000px on the long edge and highest image quality setting
- Submit a short 3 line text you want to publish together with your image that describes you idea
- Submission is limited to one image per photographer and monthly challenge
- You must sign up for the LIoP Challenge in order to submit your image
- Submission deadline is 31 July 2018, 23:59 UK Time.