February 2021- Movement
Naked Night Photography – No Flash
The challenge of ‘Naked Night Photography’ is that you are using available light or a long shutter speed. No Flash. The light meter in your camera is not as important as in daylight and you will not be relying on it for longer shutter speeds. Guesswork and keep trying is your friend.
You definitely need a tripod or somewhere to rest your camera, a shutter release or self- timer, and bulb mode ( if going longer than 30 seconds) and a whole lot of patience.
If you are in the middle of a busy city road, you can capture a person standing under a light. Move and angle the person so the light is falling on them in an interesting way and ask them to stand still unless you want movement.
If you are capturing a landscape or starlight – you could have the shutter open from minutes to hours depending on how dark it is.
Have fun as this will challenge your technical ability.
Tips and Inspirations:
You can choose to cover the viewfinder or eyepiece so stray light doesn’t enter your camera and don’t forget to turn your vibration reduction on your lens to off and activate your Mirror Lock-up function.
The winner of this Challenge is
The winner for the January 2018 Challenge “Naked Night Photography” is Daniel Pacurici.
The light and composition are both so striking in this image. The light in the centre of the image brings your attention to the ship in the middle of the sea. The central horizon lines gives calamity while the soft light echoes this. The strong diagonal line in the sand is a wonderful compositional cue and draws our eye to the boat in the foreground which is in focus. The perspective between the boats is super. All the characteristics of a good image. This image is one to hang on the wall.
Congratulations Daniel – A £150 voucher to spend on one of LIoP courses is coming your way.
31 January 2018, 23:59 UK Time
- All submitted images will be assessed on the basis of creativity, technical quality and coherence with the theme
- Save your image as JPG with 3000px on the long edge and highest image quality setting
- Submit a short 3 line text you want to publish together with your image that describes you idea
- Submission is limited to one image per photographer and monthly challenge
- You must sign up for the LIoP Challenge in order to submit your image
- Submission deadline is 31 January 2018, 23:59 UK Time.