January 2021- Fragile
Blur. This is a challenge to be creative and in which you can create several different types of “blur”.
This is when you use a slow Shutter speed, below 1/40th, the camera sitting on a tripod and this will create movement in the image. The subject needs to be moving a certain speed and the faster it is moving the blurring will occur.
Panning with the subject.
Going the same speed as the subject. There’s no better way to capture motion than through a car window or a motorbike, you are moving with a slower shutter speed.
Find a scene that has strong lines – fences with flowers in front of them and trees work well. You need to press the shutter button and as the exposure processes, dragging your camera up, down left or right as it does.
You can also use your aperture to get blur. Deciding where you will focus on with a shallow depth of field will create blur. You could use manual focus and unfocus the whole image to have a blurred image. This can create emotion in the image.
Tips and Inspirations:
The winner of this Challenge is Amelia Plaskon
Amelia has captured this image pretty perfectly. Using the right amount of shutter speed to create a “blur” and movement. We really get a sense of the speed that these puffins are moving which is enhanced by having the dark band of brown landscape framing them perfectly.
The layers of muted colours have created a very engaging and moving image.
Well done Amelia
29 February 2020, 23:59 UK Time
- All submitted images will be assessed on the basis of creativity, technical quality and coherence with the theme
- Save your image as JPG with 3000px on the long edge and highest image quality setting
- Submit a short 3 line text you want to publish together with your image that describes you idea
- Submission is limited to one image per photographer and monthly challenge
- You must sign up for the LIoP Challenge in order to submit your image
- Submission deadline is 29 February 2020, 23:59 UK Time.