April 2021- Open Call
Out of Focus
The challenge for this month is to create an image by manually un-focusing your lens to create an overall ‘out of focus’ effect. It might not be something you would normally consider and hence be a real challenge for you. After all we teach you at the LIoP, how to use your focus to achieve selected focused images.
But we must admit an out of focus image can create a really dreamy effect.
The secret is not to have it too out of focus. We need to recognize your subject. Research and find images that work and why? What are the colour patterns and the focal length that is generally used?
Don’t forget sharpness and focus are different. You can have an out of focus image that is sharp. All raw images need some sharpening of some type in Photoshop or in Lightroom.
We want your full image out of focus.
Tips and Inspirations:
The winner of this Challenge is
This amount of Out of Focus is really spot on. It gives a romantic, poetic feel to the image. The colours embraced by soft black shadows gives contrast to the dapples of light on the road leading to the spotlights and buildings in the background. The strong contrast of colour also compliments this image along with lines leading us in, then softer lights and buildings closing the image on the right allowing our eyes to settle and to meditate on the lights and the potential life in the city or home!
31 December 2017, 23:59 UK Time
- All submitted images will be assessed on the basis of creativity, technical quality and coherence with the theme
- Save your image as JPG with 3000px on the long edge and highest image quality setting
- Submit a short 3 line text you want to publish together with your image that describes you idea
- Submission is limited to one image per photographer and monthly challenge
- You must sign up for the LIoP Challenge in order to submit your image
- Submission deadline is 31 December 2017, 23:59 UK Time.